NOTICE:

This blog will be closing down as of November 1st 2015.

All posts will be moved to my tumblr page:
AshleyAnneReadsThings.com

Please follow me there!

Also, my email address has changed to

ashley@ashleyannereadsthings.com

Thanks lovelies!

~Ashley

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Review: These Broken Stars (Starbound #1) by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

These Broken Stars (Starbound #1)
by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Published December 10th 2013 
by Disney Hyperion

Goodreads Summary:
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help. 

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.


I'm not a huge sci-fi reader. It takes a lot to keep my attention in a sci-fi novel. It took only the first 5 pages to have me hooked in These Broken Stars (TBS). 

First, I have to say... that cover is GORGEOUS! It admittedly was the reason I decided to purchase this ebook in the first place. And now I HAVE to buy a hardcover version to have on my bookshelf. 

But onto the book itself. The dual POV used was brilliant. I loved knowing exactly what Lilac and Tarver were thinking/feeling. Their character development was very impressive. I felt myself rooting for them to survive together. Having each of them realize that there was more to the appearance they portray daily. 

Having to survive on an abandoned planet without any real resources, they are tested time and time again. Physically, mentally and emotionally. They continuously help each other survive in such miserable conditions. Putting their own pain and injury aside to ensure they make it to their goal. 

The authors did a great job describing every asset of the environment and weather they had to battle through. I felt like I was there watching it happen. 

I couldn't have asked for more from this book. I loved it and it makes me want to pick up the second book in the series SO much sooner. 

Thank you for a beautiful book Amie and Meagan <3

5 (very well deserved) Coffee Cup Stars
Finished 1/2/2015

3 comments:

  1. Yes I really enjoyed this book, especially Tarver! He's still in the top 5 guy characters for me. I actually liked his character the best. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tarver was amazing! I didn't even know about this book until they started promoting the 2nd book. Then I read the synopsis and said I had to read it. I'm so glad I did.
      Thanks for stopping by!! :)
      -Ashley

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with everything you said! I'm not a big fan of sci-fi either, but this one was AWESOME!
    **Sigh** Now I want to read it again :-)
    Thanks for sharing, great review!

    Em @ The YA Book Butterfly

    ReplyDelete