NOTICE:

This blog will be closing down as of November 1st 2015.

All posts will be moved to my tumblr page:
AshleyAnneReadsThings.com

Please follow me there!

Also, my email address has changed to

ashley@ashleyannereadsthings.com

Thanks lovelies!

~Ashley

Friday, September 12, 2014

Kiss of Broken Glass- REVIEW

Kiss of Broken Glass

By Madeleine Kuderick
Published: September 9th 2014 by HarperTeen

ebook Edition, 224 pages


Publisher Description: 

After she’s caught in the school bathroom cutting herself with the blade from a pencil sharpener, fifteen-year-old Kenna is put under mandatory psychiatric watch. She has seventy-two hours to face her addiction, deal with rejection, and find a shred of hope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My thoughts: 

This book touched my soul in so many different ways. I was a cutter back when I was a teenager and Madeleine nails the emotion, the thoughts, the decisions on the head in this book. However, in this world it was something that 'everyone' did. Kenna's girl friend talked her in to it and it became a competition. It was never like that in my world and this world makes it that much more awful and scary.

"Whoosh!
The skin tears
and I feel this rush
swirling in my brain
like a waterspout.
A finger-tingling,
tongue-numbing,
heart-pounding
rush.
And the pain doesn't feel like pain
but more like energy
moving through my body
in waves.
Rushing.
Cleansing.
Pulsing.
Purging all the broken bits out of me
like a tsunami washing debris to the shore."

This is the most accurate representation that I've seen some one write for what cutting feels like. There is nothing like it. Unfortunately, self harm is extremely addictive. Madeleine approaches this in a very real but sensitive way. The story is told in verse which is unique in itself. It makes it sound like Kenna is legitimately writing the story herself. 

I give this book 4 stars. 
Though I wish the author wouldn't have set this up as a 
"who can cut the most" contest.
4 Coffee Cup Stars
Finished on September 11, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment