NOTICE:

This blog will be closing down as of November 1st 2015.

All posts will be moved to my tumblr page:
AshleyAnneReadsThings.com

Please follow me there!

Also, my email address has changed to

ashley@ashleyannereadsthings.com

Thanks lovelies!

~Ashley

Saturday, September 20, 2014

True Calling || REVIEW

True Calling

By Siobhan Davis
Published: July 28th 2014 by Siobhan Davis
Kindle Edition || 289 pages

Buy it now 




Publisher Description:

I wonder which situation is hardest.
Mine, because I remember everything, or hers because she can’t.


Planet Novo, nestled in space twelve hundred miles above the surface of the Earth, is the new home of 17 year-old Cadet Ariana Skyee. Forced to flee to Novo two years previously—to avoid the succession of natural disasters which have ravaged Earth—Ariana and her family are part of the chosen few who have been carefully selected to share in this new existence. Other survivors reside in a technology deprived post-apocalyptic America; under the constant scrutiny of the ruthless regime, and deliberately kept in the dark about life on Novo.

The new government is strategically focused on the continuation of mankind and development of Novo society. They consequently announce the introduction of a televised e-pageant, ‘The Calling’, which compels every seventeen year old into impending marriage and parenthood.

Devastated at the removal of her free will and forced abandonment of her desired military career; Ariana grows increasingly alarmed at the authorities apparent pre-occupation with her. As a series of tragic events tear her family life apart, Ariana feels progressively more isolated and alone.

Her growing feelings for much-admired, fellow Cadet Cal Remus, intensify as ‘The Calling’ gets underway. Hot-headed, but fiercely loyal and protective, Cal shares knowledge which appears to indicate that the fragile fabric of their new society is disintegrating in front of their eyes.

Confused by the government-sanctioned memory erase—which has stolen her memories of those left behind on Earth—Ariana is struggling to comprehend the continuous, inexplicable dreams of the mysterious Zane.

Discovering the past helps shape her future, with devastating personal consequences.


Thank you to Kym @ Superbookgrl13 for the giveaway for this book 
and to Siobhan Davis for providing the copy !

True Calling is a dystopian-sci-fi-romance that is FABULOUS ! Siobhan did not fail to impress me with this debut novel. It was action packed, swoon-worthy (but not too much!) and I couldn't stop turning page after page. 

|| What I loved ||

I immediately connected with the main character Ariana. She is the one to stay out of the spotlight, loyal to the upmost to her friends and family. Then she is thrown into the world of 'The Calling', a televised pageant that pairs her with her future husband through voting and outside influence. Ariana struggles to accept having to be part of 'The Calling' and is against every aspect of the process. Ariana begins to develop feelings for fellow cadet Cal Remus after quite some time of thinking of him as annoying, amongst other things. 

Through out the book Ariana continuously has dreams that involve a guy named Zane. She has reason to believe that she should know who this mysterious guy but has no memory of him. While Ariana continues to try to unravel who Zane is and how she knows him she grows closer and closer with Cal. 

|| What I didn't care for ||

I didn't like that Cal was so possessive over Ariana and the angry that he showed toward the end of the book. I hope that it lessens over time in the following books. 
I didn't enjoy that the author dedicated a few chapters to Zane telling his side of the story. I did like that it went back over the same time line that the previous section of Ariana's story. But I feel as thought the author should have written in his parts as they are happening and didn't break it up into sections. 

|| OVERALL || 

I loved this story and the pacing keep me involved and interested. I'm excited to see how the story continues in the next books in the series. I still haven't decided whether I'm Team Cal or Team Zane yet. I liked/disliked things about both characters. I do hope that Ariana learns more about Zane though since he is SO dedicated to her! 

5 Coffee Cup Stars!
Finished September 20th 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment